Tuesday, January 12, 2010

More on the tire ordeal...

Well I took the tire off and headed over to the Big-O-Tires just down the street from me.. btw, I wish garages wouldn't torque the lugs on so tight. It is so unnecessary. My Lancer had a documented torque of 14 ft.lbs. Seemed very small to me, but that was what the manual said. Anyways...

I wrapped the tire up in a black garbage bag for fear of bodily harm if I were to drop the tire in the trunk of my wife's TSX. I get to the garage, and they looked at the tire and said there was no way to repair the tire. The hole that would be left would simply be too big to patch from the inside. My stomach churned as I contemplated how much this was going to run me. To replace the tire with the same Potenza series, it would be about 160 plus tax, plus another 20 in shipping since they would have to order it. Last time I ordered a tire, it was delayed by several days. Add to that the cost of install and now I am at 200 plus. With the weather working against me, winter time and all, I simply can't afford to stay home. Much too much to do at work, nor do I wish to run on the tiny thing they call a spare. It amazes me how many people drive around on those as if they were safe to run on for prolonged periods. Let's be blunt.. its down right stupid.

Realizing that I will replacing all 4 tires in the spring, I didn't see it making any sense to do anything but what made sense... so I opted for something they had there. Tread pattern is different, tire is different, etc. Does it match, no... but will it work, yes.  Should be about 140 installed I think. Waiting at home for that phone call that its done.

I asked them to hold onto that piece of metal for me. I want to see more of whatever it is. In the end, I will be  able to go back to work tomorrow.. YIPEE!!