Sunday, May 17, 2009

I thought putting in the tail-lights was painful...

Since I was putting the time in on tail-lights, figure I would do some more work since I was out there anyways...

For starters, I started prepping the grille insert that I am putting together for the front bumper.  First I etched and stripped the aluminum grille using Muriatic Acid. That stuff stinks, but it sure works thats for certain.  After rinsing the acid off, I allowed it to dry. Throughout the day, I painted it with flat black hi-temp paint.  Several coats actually, which was finally followed up with a 2 coats of matte finish clearcoat.  Its all dry now and put away for future use.

So what was the real pain ??  Sparkplugs. Had to remove the plastic cowl and then also a metal guard. This didn't end up being a 20 minute job like it was on my older cars that I had in the past. So what did I end up replacing the NGK iridiums with ? The controversial Pulstar sparkplugs. Snake Oil ? Good question... but I was willing to take a chance.

After looking at review from Import Tuner, I figured it was worth the 100 bucks if it held true.  After installing, I disconnect the battery and then reconnected after the ECU cleared. The experience was felt almost immeadiately when I took it out on the highway. Granted no dyno, so its not excactly science... but the acceleration was clearly improved.  Shifting through the gears was smoother too.  Maybe its just in my mind... but I don't think so.

So,  the next trick is to see how fuel economy is... should be interesting. I will keep you posted, but for all you Civic 8th gen owners... it couldn't hurt and really whats a 100 bucks... 

Okay, okay... so even if its 1-2 gain on hp... every bit helps I think. 1-2 here or there can eventually get you to an extra 10-15 across the board. All I know is that it seems like things have been improved. The fuel economy should be a clear sign though. I track my fuel economy regularly. So we shall see...